PHGA Board Meeting Minutes Friday Sept 6, 2019, 5:00 PM
Call to order: 5:00 PM
Present: Mike Bower, Bob Bem, Larry Niemczyk, Greg Brunks, Dan Stockwell, Bob Doherty, Bill Knudsen, John Helpap, Joe Saccomanno, Dan Hotchkin, Bob Mathieson, Jim Jessogne, Jim Toth, Jim Romanek, Tim Geier, and Bill Crowley.
Absent: Erick Schorsch and Joe Petricca.
1. Minutes of Aug 8, 2019. Bill Crowley motion to approve, 1st Bob Bem, 2nd Jim Romanek-approved.
2. A. Golf Course Update-Dan Hotchkin-aerating greens next Tues and Wed. Tees have been aerated. Slit seeding on fairway of holes 15 and 18. Course
will be marked with non playable areas.
B. Discussion about Park District Board Meeting on 8/13. On the agenda was the cost and return of investment for new culvert, long and short term program to improve flood area, etc. Presentation of engineer study.
Nothing was voted on but tabled until next month. PHGA members who attended, were Mike Bower, John Helpap and Bill Crowley. Brad Helms and Mike Bower voiced their opinions to go forward with project. Dan Hotchkin
Also attended. The consensus from the PHGA was disappointment with the non-action of the Park District Board.
3. Treasurers Report-Joe Saccomanno-members 165
Current checking account $12,781.94. Joe handed out a detailed balance sheet. Motion to approve by Joe Saccomanno, 1st Bob Bem, 2nd Dan Stockwell, approved.
4. Park District Report-Joe Petricca absent and no report. See point 2B above.
5. Webmaster Report-Greg Brunks-no report.
6. Scorekeeper Report-Changes being finalized for the 2Ball.
7. Travel Events-Bob Bem-Four events that were popular with the members. A total of 120 played in the travel events.
8. MIP Program-funded for a total of 3 years by an anonymous member. Results of 2019 are A flight Winner, Greg Brunks; B flight, Joe Saccomanno and C flight, Tim Byrne. All will receive at the 2Ball a green jacket and $100.00.
9. New Member-Mike Bower-No report. 2020 chairperson will be selected at Oct meeting.
10. Match Play-Bob Mathieson-announced that Joe Saccomanno won the A flight and Bill Crowley won B flight.
11. Gem Program-Bob Mathieson-no report.
12. Member Guest Outing slated for Sept 15. Bob Mathieson reported we have 19 teams with one pending. As of the date of this writing, the outing was cancelled due to heavy flooding on the back 4 holes.
13.Rules of Play-Eric Schorsch/Bob Doherty-to be discussed at non/smoker.
At the evening reception, the rules of play and pace of play were presented
to the players. See Takahashi presentation below under New Business.
14. Pace of Play see item 13 above.
15. Historian-John Helpap. John presented a letter published in the Daily Herald written by President Mike Bower. Letter as follows:
Quick Thinking Saved Golfer’s Life- To the editor: We are writing to say a
big THANK YOU to those noted below who assisted in saving the life of one of our fellow Palatine Hills Golf Association members at the Palatine Hills Golf course on July 4. The good samaritans responded instantly and with great professionalism, in reviving the player who had a heart attack on the first hole and had stopped breathing.
PHGA golfer Karl Stevens, for immediately initiating CPR until the defibrillate equipment arrived.
Palatine Hills assistant golf professional Erik Klebosits, who instantly grabbed the defibrillate unit from the clubhouse and initiated the process of reviving the player in the first fairway.
The two Palatine police officers, Derrick Bahn and Greg Bell, who arrived in minutes and sprinted down the fairway to the player, relieving those doing the CPR and continuing with the defibrillate process until the ambulance arrived.
The Palatine paramedics who arrived within five minutes, treated the player and took him to the hospital.
At this moment, the patient is alive and recovering thanks to the quick work
From the respondents above, and to those making the immediate 911 call from the first tee.
16. Member Health-all: John Bodolay recovering(see letter item 15),
Gary Schwietz, Doug Cannon, Del Foster, Bill Horton, Ed Newman all recovering from various health issues.
Frank Constable and Bob Hoffman both passed in the last two weeks.
1. Secure Black Box-Jim Toth: Secured to back wall in clubhouse.
2. 2020 PHGA Board Ballot-Dan Stockwell and Bob Doherty: In light of non-response from members to place their name on ballot, there will be no open election. The Secretary position will be filled by Tim Geier. Directors to be filled by George Nassif and Rick Green. Motion and approved at Aug 8 Board Meeting.
3. Labor Day Tournment-Dan Stockwell, Bill Crowley and Joe Petricca.
44 players, prizes and awards distributed. Pot, flight, individual winners posted on web site. All went well with program, etc.
Takahashi preparation: Mike Bower. Detailed activity checklist, with time line, job description, assignments prepared by Greg Brunks and Scott Feldmiller.
36 teams played the event and the winning team was Peter Kapp and Larry Kaszuba. For more information goes to website.
Weather was good, pace of play was fair, feedback on food was good and scoring seem to run smooth.
The 50/50 raffle held on Friday night was successful with 50% of pot returning to PHGA and 2 winners at 25% each.
Adjourn at 6:15 PM motion - approved by all
Next meeting at 7 PM Oct 17 Thursday at the clubhouse
Secretary, Bill Crowley, dated 9-16-2019